Advantages of Remote Access
Remote access to workplace applications and desktops from offsite locations, home offices and during business travel is a mainstay of the modern workforce. Flexible, remote working options improve employee satisfaction, enhance productivity and boost organizations’ overall profitability.
Some of the benefits of providing remote access to business resources include:
- Flexibility. Allowing staff to perform tasks from outside of the office using remote access facilitates more flexible work arrangements and helps employees achieve a better work/life balance. Another advantage is that employees who travel on business can easily access any applications and data they may need, from wherever in the world they happen to be.
- Business Continuity. Remote access greatly enhances business continuity. Workers who are unable to get to the office due to inclement weather, transport strikes or other circumstances can still access their business applications and data from home, ensuring they can meet business goals in a timely manner. Similarly, if an urgent customer or operational situation arises outside of office hours, managers can deal with it from home (or wherever they are) instead of having to return to the office, which could result in delays.
- Universal Talent Pool. Remote access enables organizations to leverage a wider global talent pool instead of being restricted to a single geographical location. This ensures that even offices in far-flung locales can find and retain workers with the requisite experience, skills, and background for the job.
- Reduced Overhead. Hiring remote talent and allowing employees to work from their home office enables businesses to reduce overhead expense for office space, utilities, computing equipment, software, furniture and other related costs.
- Increased Employee Efficiency & Retention. Many professionals report that working remotely, using the devices they prefer, enhances their productivity and job satisfaction. This, in turn increases service quality and business profitability, as well as bolstering employee retention. Millennials in particular report that flexible work arrangements have a positive impact on job satisfaction and increase their interest in remaining with current employers for the long term.
- Optimized Software Licensing. By hosting applications centrally and providing remote access to employees, organizations can optimize software licensing agreements. For instance, applications that are used only sporadically by numerous users can be installed once on the server and distributed under concurrent usage licenses, rather than purchasing separate licenses and installing locally for each worker and device.
- Reduced Maintenance Costs. While many remote access solutions require installation of remote client software on user devices, some web-based remote access solutions support remote access with zero endpoint installation or configuration. Clientless, centrally-managed solutions eliminate the need to install, manage and maintain software on individual devices, significantly reducing IT support costs.
- Compatibility with User Preferences. Choosing types of remote access software that are compatible with any browser and users’ devices of choice, including Chromebooks, Macs, and iPads, make remote access an ideal BYOD enabler.
Remote access offers remarkable benefits for organizations that are careful to choose a secure and robust solution that works for them, and follow best practices in implementing it. Remote access advantages such as increased job satisfaction and heightened productivity can help any business boost revenue and profitability. Features such as ease of access and minimal configuration needs make Ericom’s secure remote access solutions an asset to any company’s technology lineup.
If you liked this article, check out our latest blog post on remote access alternatives