Overcoming the 80 / 20 rule Ericom Blog

Overcoming the 80 / 20 rule

DAN SHAPPIR on July 29, 2014 | 1

Brian Madden has just posted an article entitled “The hidden costs of VDI”, which is a must-read for anyone contemplating VDI. In this article Brian enumertes various none-obvious costs that are associated with implementing VDI. One cost that Brian lists is “not being able to get rid of legacy systems”. Brian writes:

For example, if you can remove every single fat client from your environment and go 100% SBC, then I think yes, there are huge savings there.

But if your server-based computing system can only replace 80% of your apps, then that means you still have to maintain your old system for the other 20%. That means you need your old patching system, app deployment system, etc. And in that case, even though the new server-based computing system is easier to manage than your old system, it actually ends up giving you negative ROI because it’s a whole system you have to implement in addition to your old system.

We at Ericom wholeheartedly agree with Brian’s assessment. Our approach to overcoming this hurdle it to offer a single product that provides multiple methods for centralized computing:

  • Terminal Services (aka Presentation Virtualization, aka SBC),
  • VDI (aka Desktop Virtualization),
  • Blade PCs / Remote Workstations (including PC-over-IP),
  • Application Streaming to clients and servers (through integration with Microsoft App-V),

By providing multiple methods for centralizing desktops and applications, the likelihood of being able to support all usage scenarios in an organization are increased dramatically. Moreover, all these methods are controled using a single management console, and accessed using a single client. In addition, a single license pool is utilized for all these methods, so there is no need to purchase new licenses when users’ needs change. Click here to learn more about our hybrid approach to centrazlied computing.

Author | 181 Blog Posts

Dan Shappir

Dan Shappir is responsible for all aspects of product design, software development and maintenance of the Ericom's product lines. | Ericom

Most Popular Articles